Friday 17 June 2011

'70s dress

I have no idea why I've been feeling the need for a dress like this. I don't wear dresses as a rule. But it does fall under my rule of very short or very long.

So for my birthday I bought me some cute purple print fabric. It has a sort of fleur-de-lis in the background and colorful jacks in the foreground. It was classified as a kid's fabric, go figure. I'd wanted something in orange but the print style is way more important here. And hey, some of the jacks are orange. Not finding any modern patterns that felt right I bought a used pattern via etsy. It's from 1970! I just got the pattern in the mail yesterday and it looks so fun! I'll do the little jumper with the cutout on the chest.

The pattern is size 12 and should work with a bit of tweeking in the chest and shoulders. I'm planning on making a test pattern first. I've never made this style of dress before and I'd like this to look good. I'm thinking that drape is important here. Being as I find dress etiquette annoying I'll also make a pair of short shorts to go under. I hate having to be all prim and proper.

So, hoping I'll get the test dress started this week. But right now I'm resting and reading my third book for this weekend. Cheers

No comments: